Sunday, October 27, 2013

The identity thief

A reflection on a current educational issue in Sydney relating to culture and identity

I am on the verge of crying. English is on Monday and I can't absorb information. I feel like sleeping but that is just another form of procrastination that will add to the guilt and, consequently, stress. The difference between getting a 96, and being where I aspire to be, and having to settle for second-best is a mere two or three marks. The pressure to achieve academic excellence is incredible but I prefer this to the alternative, a well-rounded education. If I had to complete geography or history, for the sake of a well-rounded education, I would have given up. Academic excellence is a holy grail at this stage of my life, and yet the fear I might fall short of this goal is crippling. I have to go study English now” (Gibbs, 2012).

It is that time of the year again where year 12 students across the country are beginning to sit for the dreaded HSC exams. Too many, the HSC comes at a cost as Simon Lonergan argues in his article, The HSC and education have nothing in common. With the mounting pressure to do well, just how much are these students sacrificing in their “relentless quest” (Lonergan, 2013) for those oh so desirable ATAR points.

Simon Lonergan is the father of a current year 12 student undergoing his HSC; a current year 12 student who has become a “joyless study drone” (Lonergan, 2013). As a father, he has become frustrated by his son’s uninterested attitude towards other aspects of life that aren’t concerned with his upcoming exams. Having recently completed the HSC myself just last year, I can completely relate to Lonergan’s son, and I think I can speak for nearly all other students in my year who valued education, that you become a bit of a hermit crab. Why? Because our whole thirteen years of schooling has finally come down to this point and we want something to show for it.

“Education and schooling are two of the most important ways in which we learn to live within and contribute to our own cultural lives” (Wadham, B. Pudsey, J. & Boyd, R. 2007). We identify with education and with the school that we attend, and therefore, we feel a certain pressure to do well and represent not only our school, but ourselves. Thus, an enormous amount of pressure is generated in the hope of doing well, and being identified as a high academic achiever.

This goal of achieving academic excellence has however, come at the expense of gaining a “well-rounded education” (Lonergan, 2012). I believe that while the HSC is by no means a measure of all-round ability, or skill, society has unfortunately used it to decide the future of year 12 students. This is why I think of the HSC in some ways as an identity thief. As HSC students, we constantly doubt ourselves and question if we are good enough. And while we all understand that the HSC is not the be all and end all, we are driven by our own desires and identities to achieve success.


References:


Lonergan, S. (2013) The HSC and education have nothing in common. Retrieved from: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/hsc-and-education-have-nothing-in-common-20131013-2vfzs.html

Wadham, B. Pudsey, J. & Boyd, R. (2007). Culture and education. Sydney: Pearson Education. Chapter 1: What is culture?

No comments:

Post a Comment